So one of my goals for summer was to blog more.. and while I thought I would blog more than I did.. I did hit 20 posts today that I am counting (this is 21)
I was blogging for for a few purposes
- To get in the habit of more regularly daily writing again.
- To create content that could be used to promote our IPT programs like the 21st Century masters http://bit.ly/21stcenturyteaching
- To interact more deeply with my followers on Twitter and in the ADE Community.
- To better communicate the issues that I care about online.
So those were my intended purposes and here are the unintended benefits I found.
- More meaningful interaction with alumni – I have had several reach out to me after a blog posts and without advertising the blog, people are liking what they read.
- Better interaction with people at OU – There are several people at OU who regularly blog including Adam Croom, Keegan Long Wheeler, Laura Gibbs who I have had longer conversations and interactions with since I have blogged.
- Documentation of my time. For example – i spent a lot of time in the innovation hub – the posts that I made on the innovation hub have been great for me to document my time and show what I have been up to.
- Sharing my learning – the blog has provided me with a great place to share my learning that I will use with my students. It allows me to be more vulnerable to them and share where I struggle.
- It has helped me work out some ideas in a rough form. Next week I am doing a Ignite session at IPadPaloozaOU (http://ipadpaloozaOU.weebly.com) This 5 minute talk is based on a blog post called A file called Dammit.
Overall, I am finding that blogging is an important part of my practice and something that I will be continuing. Much like research though, there are more things that I want to blog about than I have time to.. I have a list of to do’s and a few drafts hanging out.
Just like any creative practice, we have to learn how to manage our time and do it.. but overall this has been a valuable experience.
I want to give a shout out to OUCreate – because probably if the tool was not provided and I did not feel guilty about developing mine more as I ask students to.. I would probably not have done it.