So this is my 3rd ADE Academy and I am so excited to be part of it again. I am excited to see my friends, get new ideas, and refresh.
ADE – stands for Apple Distinguished Educator – which is a group of educators who are focused on using technology to improve and innovate in education. Yes it is sponsored by Apple Inc.. but it is a collaborative community where we leverage lots of technologies along with our creative ideas to make a difference for students at all levels.
There are few ways that I benefit from a meeting like this..
- It keeps me aware of trends in K-12 education so that I can best improve our teacher candidate’s preparation.
- It helps to me test out ideas that I am having with peers and work out details.
- I get to see what peers are doing and think about how I can match, improve upon or contribute to our collective successes.
- I can investigate new technologies or new approaches. For examples, I will be seeking insights on iPad Pros. How are K-12 schools using them and are they worth the added expense for our faculty and/or students.. (It is really a tipping point analysis).
- It causes me to stretch my own skills, learn more, and meet people who are different than me. While challenging, its a great way for me to practice to being open and vulnerable in my own learning.
- Finally, it is a place where, even though I am somewhat uncomfortable because I am surrounded by so many exceptional individuals, it is a place for me to mentally relax knowing that I am among like minded mission focused individuals.
Something that will be new for me is to welcome the new class of 2017. While ADE Class of 2015 is the BEST CLASS EVER! I am energized by the excitement and new ideas of the class of 2017 and can’t wait to make new connections, collaborations, and friendships..
I leave in an hour, let the fun and learning begin…